Bee

Bee
"There is power in our love for God and for His children, and when that love is tangibly manifest in millions of acts of Christian kindness, it will sweeten and nourish the world with the life sustaining nectar of faith, hope, and charity" -Elder M. Russell Ballard (Click on the picture to read this great talk!)

Friday, December 21, 2012

Happy?

Have you ever had one of those dreams where your mouth is as dry as leather and you go to get a drink but the water somehow does not wet your mouth?  Then you finally wake up and gratefully get a wonderful cool drink of real water!

I had a completely different post all ready, but as I've laid awake the last couple hours, I've been thinking about emptiness vs. happiness.  Who hasn't felt at one time or another that something is missing in our lives and we deeply just want to be happy.  So we go about our lives searching for what exactly it is that we need to fill this empty emotional void: food (as I drink my ultimate comfort food- chocolate milk), jewelry, clothes, a beautiful house, pets, a new career, hobbies, sex, cars, shoes...the list could be a mile long.  We get a little rush of excitement and endorphins make us feel happy.  But once this wears off we just feel plain empty again and life's flavor is gone like chewed up gum.  We're left still thirsty.

So how can we feel emotionally satisfied?  We've all probably heard that true happiness is gained from making others happy.  Do you believe this?  I enjoy this quote:

"Happiness is like jam, you can't spread even a little without getting some on yourself."
-Vern McLellan

It's true. Think about it. When have you felt the most real joy in your life? I think about the time when my mom made me and my rainbow bright doll matching pajamas. Sure it was an awesome gift, but I knew it was how my mother showed that she loved me. I'd bet that she felt so happy making them for me too. I think of the many times my dad took me swimming as a kid and running up the flights of stairs and down the water slide. I think of the many love notes my husband has written to me. I think of giving birth to my three kids and the joy of holding them for the first time. Sadly, at the moment I can't recall many times recently when I've made someone feel happy. I think I will go play cars with my son.


I don't care how many times you've heard this song. Listen to it and see if you can figure out why this song applies to my topic today.

I love this song. It reminds me how the Savior is the only one who can truly understand how we feel when we are in our darkest hours. We would be wise to stay close to Him and serve Him. How do I serve the Lord?

Mosiah 2:17 And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.

"The more we obey God, the more we desire to help others. The more we help others, the more we love God and on and on. Conversely, the more we disobey God and the more selfish we are, the less love we feel." 
"Trying to find lasting love without obeying God is like trying to quench thirst by drinking from an empty cup. You can go through the motions, but the thirst remains."  
John H. Groberg - 2004 Oct. Gen. Conf

So we see that it is only through the service of others that our thirst can be quenched. John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

So let's all go do something nice for someone we care about.  Give someone a hug, a love note, a thank-you or an apology, a kind act, or a special gift.

And feel happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment